Abilene police arrested a second person in connection with the Tuesday morning shooting on Vogel Avenue.
Police said 18-year-old Jared Dykes of Anson was arrested for an outstanding warrant out of Jones County for burglary of a building.
According to police reports, one person was found dead around 3:30 a.m. on the sidewalk outside of an apartment complex in the 3400 block of Vogel Avenue. Another person was injured and taken to a hospital. Both appeared to have been shot. Their names were not released Tuesday, as the investigation was pending.
The other suspect in the case, 17-year-old Kobe Tayler Poston, was arrested for a probation violation but was then charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.
According to a search warrant obtained by KTXS, the second victim told police he and some friends were walking outside of the complex when they were approached by an unknown male with a gun. They began to fight, and the victim said he was shot.
The victim said Poston hit him in the head with the gun, but he didn't see who shot the deceased person.
Poston was tracked down at his apartment in the 3400 block of State Street, where he lives with his mother. The warrant says Poston's mom told police that her son came home around 4 a.m. Tuesday and woke her up. She said he was "visibly upset, shaking, and crying" and said that "Robert was dead."
Dykes was booked into the Taylor County Jail for the warrant.
- Mayor Williams' former campaign manager running for Abilene City Council
- Ex-Brownwood High soccer coach accused of having sex with student pleads guilty, sentenced
- 2 held in shooting death of North Texas boy, 5, brother hurt
- 17.3 MILLION: Ikea recalls dressers again after death of 8th child
- Warrant: Murder suspect 'drunk' when he drove over victim at Taylor County ranch
- Donors step up for Abilene Salvation Army ahead of Thanksgiving
- Love and Care Ministries unloads 13 trailers of donated items
- Bicyclist injured after hitting vehicle in north Abilene
- Abilene police may use DNA-based composites to solve crimes
- School fair taking place in Abilene to answer questions about college
- Police continuing search for Abilene car chase suspect
- Brownwood woman arrested on homicide-related warrant out of Missouri
- Chantay Blankinship known at club for kind, endearing soul
- Balloon release held to celebrate Chantay Blankinship's birthday
- UPDATE: 911 'back up and running' in Brown County
- Blankinship's family says they can begin healing after suspect's arrest
- Pastor describes Ryan Riggs' murder confession at Brownwood church
- Goldsboro man, 71, charged with murder at Big Country ranch south of Abilene
- Coleman County house a total loss after weekend fire
- Hawley parent: Son did not make threats against school
- Police investigating early morning shooting in Sweetwater
- Underground silo shows Cold War history in the Big Country
- 106-year-old train depot in Snyder torn down