ABILENE, Texas - From Abilene Police spokesman George Spindler:
At about 8:40 p.m. Tuesday, Officer Damien Hutchinson attempted to contact a motorist for a traffic violation but the driver, who he initially observed and identified as a female driver, sped off at a high rate of speed and turned down an alley. The vehicle was occupied by the driver and one male passenger. Officer Hutchinson had already notified Dispatch of the vehicles description and license plate number. APD Dispatch further relayed that information to Patrol Division officers. The suspect vehicle was located by Officer Hutchinson almost immediately after Dispatch notified all units. Officer Hutchinson contacted the two occupants in an alley in the 3100 block of Ivy Lane. A records check revealed that the female driver was driving on a suspended license. Officer Hutchinson's investigation also revealed that the male occupant had been drinking beer and was intoxicated. The female driver was arrested for misdemeanor driving while license invalid. The male occupant was arrested for public intoxication.
At about 4:20 p.m. Tuesday, Officer Blaise Dillenburg responded to a shoplifter call at a business in the 4300 block of Southwest Drive. APD Dispatch had been notified by a loss prevention employee a female subject had been detained for alleged theft. Officer Dillenburg's investigation revealed that the female subject had selected and concealed merchandise in a bag and left the store without paying for said items. Approximately $100 of stolen property was recovered. The subject was warned not to return to the store. The female subject was arrested for misdemeanor theft.
At about 11:50 p.m. Tuesday, Officer Jeremy Montgomery responded to a theft call at a residence in the 5300 block of North 9th Street. APD Dispatch had been notified that a push-type lawn mower had been taken from his daughter's porch on this day while he was away from the residence. The stolen lawn mower is valued at approximately $200. There are no suspects identified at present. A report for misdemeanor theft was taken.
- Emmy-winning actor and Fort Worth native Bill Paxton, 61, dies from surgery complications
- San Angelo city councilman resigns after racial comments about police
- 18 people displaced after Brownwood apartment fire
- Former Sweetwater teacher indicted on 3 child sex charges
- Updated Truck rams New Orleans crowd during Mardi Gras parade; 28 injured
- Chili Day and Auction raises money for children's programs
- Woman, 36, is 2nd arrested in connection with Abilene mother's murder
- Workshop at ACU gets people ready for gardening season
- McMurry professor highlights 181st anniversary of the Battle of the Alamo
- State seeks death penalty for man accused of killing correctional officer
- Brown County judge orders new trial for man convicted of child sex crimes
- Blood drive in Early held to honor deceased student
- Brownwood man arrested for forging checks found while detailing truck
- Lawmaker proposes ending Brown County Attorney's pre-trial donation program
- Wildfire academy held in Brownwood amid high fire danger
- TxDOT repairs section of Highway 6 destroyed by 2016 flood
- Ira ISD superintendent announces retirement after long career
- Sweetwater ISD makes choice for new head football coach/athletic director
- Brownwood man accused of conning people has criminal record
- DPS identifies driver, 32, killed in Callahan County crash