ABILENE, Texas - An Abilene mother and father were arrested Friday after police said they found their toddlers in the street.
Frank Rodriguez, 19, and Summer Helvey, 20, were arrested on child endangerment charges.
Police said the unsupervised children were in the middle of the street when they found them. According to the police report, one child was naked while the other was "extremely dirty." A witness told police one child was almost hit by a car.
When they found their home on Palm Street, police said the front door was wide open and they could smell marijuana coming from the home.
Rodriguez was allegedly found to be in possession of drug paraphernalia.
Rodriguez and Helvey are in the Taylor County Jail. Rodriguez is being held on bond totaling more than $25,000 and Helvey's bond is set at $25,000.
The children are now in child protective services custody.
- Updated City of Abilene addresses high water bills
- Updated Agency shakeup: 4 regional CPS directors fired, including director of Abilene region
- Updated Abilene police officer murdered one year ago
- Updated Black Texas woman sues after being thrown down amid arrest
- Updated Leaders hold special meeting after 10-year-old girl's gruesome death