ABILENE, Texas - Authorities are searching for a man who stabbed a woman in South Abilene Monday afternoon.
Police responded to an injured subject call around noon to find a woman had been stabbed at a residence in the 1000 block of Matador Street. She had to be hospitalized.
"Whenever we got here we found a white female -- probably in her 20s, early 20s -- come to find out that she had been stabbed," Abilene Police Department Officer Donnie Brown said. "There was some information on a possible suspect but that individual was not here upon our arrival."
Brown said the woman was taken to Hendrick Medical Center to be treated for her stab wounds and to undergo surgery.
At least three people, including the victim, were present at the time of the stabbing. The stabbing happened in a sound studio located above the carport of the residence.
As of Monday afternoon, police said they do not yet know the relationship between the victim and the suspect or what led to the stabbing.
Police have taken a witness in for questioning and said the suspect is likely in his thirties.
"He was described as a black male, possibly biracial, fair-skinned, green eyes, approximately 6'3" to 6'4", thin build and had a scraggly beard," Brown said.
Neighbors said they were shocked the stabbing happened just a few feet from their doorsteps.
"[I'm] just sorry that it happened. I can't believe it happened here," said J.R. Kessler, who has lived in his home near the stabbing for about 20 years. "We don't ever have any violence right here in our immediate neighborhood. Nothing like that has happened since I've lived here. I just think it's pretty sad. I hope they catch whoever did it."
Police will continue to investigate the stabbing and search for the suspect.
Anonymous tips can be called in to Abilene Crime Stoppers at (325) 676-TIPS.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated