ABILENE, Texas - The Abilene Prairie Dogs minor league will not take the field this year.
North American Baseball League owner John Bryant told KTXS Sports the subsidy to play at a non-professional stadium was too high. The Prairie Dogs played all their home games at McMurry's Walt Drigger's field in 2012.
Even though 2013 is out of the question, the team could return to play in 2014 if a new stadium is built in time.
Bryant said they have been working new stadium, one that would allow for more revenue, such as from beer sales.
- Zephyr ISD sues over faulty turf, relocates home football games
- Abilene ISD expecting more money from state for higher enrollment
- Ex-Abilene day care teacher fails to show for trial, warrant issued
- Hunters, Abilene charity anticipate start of dove hunting season
- Police: 20-year-old arrested for sexual assault of Brownwood teen