ABILENE, Texas - The city of Abilene's Public Works Department has proposed moving the current recycling center on Oak Street to a new location.
If the proposal is passed, the site would be located on Sandy Street near East Highway 80. The city already owns this land, but it is currently undeveloped.
Jim Winward, operations manage for the center, said the current site doesn't have enough room to accommodate the current demands.
"There are times during peak usage to where it would be nice to have more space available for traffic and parking and operation of our larger vehicles," Winward said."
The city is planning on making improvements to the new site, including fencing, lighting utilities and a connection to the water supply.
This process, however, could take a few years and is still in the planning stages.
"In the end, it would provide us more space to operate and be able to give us a little more flexibility with what we can offer our customers," Winward said.
- Abilene parents keeping daughter's memory alive with foundation
- Abilene police find heroin in house, arrest 4 on drug charges
- Bangs students learn from Monday's presidential debate
- KTXS Forecast: Slight warm up today then another cold front arrives Thursday
- Brownwood murder suspect's lawyer asks for bond reduction, gag order
- Brother of fallen Dyess airman killed week before 1st anniversary of plane crash
- Callahan County employees, residents react to jail decision
- Brown County cities see decline in sales tax revenues for July
- Callahan County commissioners reverse decision to 'vacate' jail
- Totals: 5+ inches of rain recorded in parts of West Texas over weekend