The city of Abilene is ready to begin work on a new health clinic on the north side of town.
The clinic would operate out of the former Boys and Girls Club on Shelton, next to the old Fannin Elementary school.
Abilene City Council will decide Thursday on a proposal to spend $448,987 to renovate the old club. The money to run the clinic will come by way of a grant from the state.
City Manager Larry Gilley said the clinic will be the first of its kind for Abilene and serve a group of people in need.
"This just provides some primary health care for women we really think whose needs are going unmet in the community," Gilley said, "...so we've really done a lot of outreach trying to get people to participate in the program."
Gilley said some of the services that will be provided at the new center are currently being offered at the Sears Recreation Center.
- 6 cows killed, deputy hurt in suspected drunk driving crash
- Residents of community near Snyder report not having water since Wednesday
- Texas wife sentenced to prison for killing officer husband
- Kidnapped Border Patrol agent says he feared for family
- 3-year-old boy dies after he's found in hot car in Texas
- State cornhole championship held in Abilene
- 5 car wreck on Winters Freeway, 1 injured
- 24-hour amateur radio field day taking place this weekend
- 2 taken to Abilene hospital after vehicle strikes go-kart
- CityLink addresses driver shortage with pay bump
- Friends of the Library raises over $60,000 at annual Abilene book sale
- Amputee golf tournament taking place at Lake Brownwood
- Owner of Brownwood restaurant and motel disputes $97,000 fine for health violations
- Budget shortfall affecting maintenance at Texas state parks
- Brownwood ISD, emergency agencies conduct response drills
- Early ISD continuing research on proposal to arm teachers, staff
- 4th of July celebrations around the Big Country
- Area's best showcase their stuff in the State Lineman Challenge
- Train derailed by strong winds in Mitchell County
- More than 100 barrels of oil stolen from Nolan County drilling company
- Brownwood battles heat, snags 7-on-7 state spot in duel with Merkel
- Wanted Wednesday: Abilene police looking for 2 capital murder suspects
- Police arrest 2 Abilene men for stealing car, breaking into 'numerous' vehicles in Merkel