AIBLENE, Texas - The Abilene State Park celebrated its 80th birthday and Texas Heritage Day on Saturday.
The event was previously called Tartan Day, but was changed to Texas Heritage Day to incorporate the state's rich melting pot of different cultures and people.
The celebration featured a 5k run, games like tug-of-war and cornhole and live entertainment from the Abilene Bag Pipers, Promenade Squares Dance Club, Buffalo Soldiers and the Lone Star Cloggers of San Angelo.
Blake Woodall, assistant to Senator Troy Fraser and Region 5 State Park Director Rodney Franklin, was the guest speaker.
- Updated Terror attacks overseas affecting Abilene college programs
- Updated EpiPen price hikes causing trouble Abilene families
- Updated Abilene ISD institutes new drop-off policy
- Updated KTXS Forecast: Mostly sunny and low 90s for Thursday
- Updated Police: Abilene kidnapping suspect threatened to kill victim, family