ABILENE, Texas - An Abilene teen, recently put on probation for shooting and killing his best friend, was arrested Wednesday on a minor in possession of alcohol charge.
Joseph Fowler, 19, was found guilty of state jail felony criminally negligent homicide in August for the January 2011 shooting of 16-year-old Michael Huffman. Fowler had recklessly handled a gun when it went off and killed Huffman.
The charge is punishable by a maximum of two years. District Judge Thomas Wheeler instead sentenced him to five years probation Friday in the hope of giving him a chance to honor his deceased friend.
During sentencing, Judge Wheeler told Fowler to stay away from alcohol and drugs while on probation and to find a job and pursue his GED.
As of Thursday, Fowler is in the Taylor County Jail on $390 cash bond.
- Updated Security guard fatally shot at Central Texas Subway sandwich shop
- Updated Drive-by shooter targets police substation in Dallas
- Updated Emmy-winning actor and Fort Worth native Bill Paxton, 61, dies from surgery complications
- Updated KTXS Forecast: Breezy and sunny days ahead, a cool down on the way
- Updated Joseph Wapner, star of 'The People's Court,' dead at 97
- Chili Day and Auction raises money for children's programs
- Woman, 36, is 2nd arrested in connection with Abilene mother's murder
- Workshop at ACU gets people ready for gardening season
- McMurry professor highlights 181st anniversary of the Battle of the Alamo
- State seeks death penalty for man accused of killing correctional officer
- Brown County judge orders new trial for man convicted of child sex crimes
- Blood drive in Early held to honor deceased student
- Brownwood man arrested for forging checks found while detailing truck
- Lawmaker proposes ending Brown County Attorney's pre-trial donation program
- Wildfire academy held in Brownwood amid high fire danger
- TxDOT repairs section of Highway 6 destroyed by 2016 flood
- Ira ISD superintendent announces retirement after long career
- Sweetwater ISD makes choice for new head football coach/athletic director
- Brownwood man accused of conning people has criminal record
- DPS identifies driver, 32, killed in Callahan County crash