ABILENE, Texas - An Abilene woman is devastated after a fire burned all her belongings Friday morning.
Betty Alvarez, 77, woke up to thick black smoke in her home on Green Street around 6 a.m.
Alvarez has lived in her home for 55 years and was planning on having a garage sale Saturday, but is now rummaging through what's left of her stuff.
"I don't know what I'm going to do," Alvarez said. "I can't live anywhere else. So anyway, everything is gone."
A burnt coffee maker sits on her kitchen counter and broken glass lies on the floor.
"My pictures, my album, my bible is burned," Alvarez said.
Alvarez is a widow, but luckily her daughter was home at the time of the fire. The Red Cross is assisting the family. They will be put up in a hotel for a couple of days.
"All I know is I got out," Alvarez said.
There were no reports of any injuries.
- Brown County commissioners approve sale of old sheriff's office and jail
- Brownwood seeking community input on proposed dog park
- Police: Driver flees after crashing into Early apartment, found at liquor store
- Sheriff, family ask for public's help with Lake Brownwood murder case
- Inaugural Barktoberfest taking place Saturday seeks to help Brownwood youth
- Teen killed in Coleman County motorcycle-truck crash
- Teacher Tribute: First-year Wylie teacher receives season's first honor
- Brookesmith school board selects interim superintendent
- Victim testifies against former chief in Anson sexual assault trial
- Clyde Intermediate School teachers save student from choking