ABILENE, Texas - Hundreds of people stopped by downtown Abilene Saturday to support stores and museums during Big Day Downtown.
Approximately 17 locally-owned stores participated by providing special sales and promotions.
Bible Hardware held a contest for a tool belt. Casa Authentique hosted a sidewalk sale and gave discounts on high-priced shoes and women's clothing.
"I just wanted to come downtown and see what Abilene had," Jessica Reddell said. "I'm loving everything I'm finding."
"If we at least buy some merchandise from here at least people will be able to get more jobs and the stores will grow," Priscilla Batamuliza said.
The Paramount Theatre, Abilene Public Library, Frontier Texas, Center for Contemperary Arts and several galleris also held events downtown.
Abilene's Downtown Association sponsored the event.
- Brown County commissioners approve sale of old sheriff's office and jail
- Brownwood seeking community input on proposed dog park
- Police: Driver flees after crashing into Early apartment, found at liquor store
- Sheriff, family ask for public's help with Lake Brownwood murder case
- Inaugural Barktoberfest taking place Saturday seeks to help Brownwood youth