ABILENE, Texas - St. Paul United Methodist Church will be getting a new pastor this summer – and Felicia Hopkins will become the church's first female pastor.
Current Senior Pastor Eddie Rivera will be leaving at the beginning of June to pastor a church in New Mexico. He was the church's first Hispanic pastor.
Hopkins will replace him starting July 17. She is currently serving as the Preaching Pastor at St. Mark's United Methodist Church in El Paso. Hopkins also travels across the nation as an inspirational speaker to various groups.
Rivera said the church prides itself on being progressive.
"St. Paul is one that does cutting-edge ministry, so it's a great church with an open mind heart. And an open mind to do things that are not 'the usual,'" Rivera said.
- Updated Rio Olympics: Is Brazil ready for the 2016 Games?
- Updated Hot air balloon carrying at least 16 people crashes in Texas
- Updated FAA warned of potential for many hot air balloon deaths
- Updated Ex-Texas A&M linebacker, wife killed at their home
- Updated Melissa Valdez: Triple digit temperatures return to the forecast