ABILENE, Texas - An announcement from Democratic Sen. Wendy Davis drew a crowd Thursday afternoon.
Members of the political group Battleground Texas, the Taylor County Democratic Party and The Big Country Chapter of Texas Democratic Women gathered at The Firehouse Bar and Grill to watch the announcement from Davis that she will run for governor in the 2014 election.
The Fort Worth Democrat gained national spotlight over the summer with a 13-hour filibuster against new abortion restrictions.
She's hoping to fill the shoes of the longest-serving governor of The Lone Star State, Rick Perry.
The last Democrat elected governor of Texas was Ann Richards in 1990.
- Updated Lowe's Heroes gives back to the Disabled American Veterans
- Updated Texas recognizes Brown County gun store as oldest in state
- Updated Cooper High School holds 2nd annual car show to benefit band
- Updated Texas man stung to death by bees
- Updated Man arrested in fatal stabbing of 2 nuns in Mississippi