ABILENE, Texas - Pet lovers came out to support their four-legged friends in a 5K race.
The race happened Saturday morning at Grover Nelson Park. Hundreds of people ran to raise money for the "Rescue the Animals" organization. It was the groups third annual race.
The Abilene Runner's Club helped organize the event. Families were encouraged to run or walk with their pets.
Rescue the Animals President Paul Washburn said, "So many people in town not only own pets but they really love animals. I think that's one of the hallmarks of people in West Texas whether its livestock or small animals, it comes from having a heritage of people who were close to the land, who really had an appreciation for animals and a closeness with them."
The majority of the proceeds raised from the run go toward cruelty and abuse investigations in 20 West Texas counties.
- ACU's Sing Song competition brings visitors, dollars to Abilene
- 2 dead in shooting during fight at Houston strip club
- Police seek help finding suitcase linked to Colorado murder
- Hunters charged in Texas shooting who had blamed immigrants
- Stepson talks how shooter, victim met before San Angelo murder-suicide