ABILENE, Texas - A blowout on an 18-wheeler caused a crash that sent several people to the hospital Monday night.
The accident happened just after 7:30 p.m. near the Grape Street exit.
The truck that had the blowout was carrying non-food supplies for Chicken Express when the tire blew and then the trailer caught fire. A mini van traveling behind the truck tried to avoid the accident but was then rear-ended by a pickup truck.
A total of five people were taken by ambulance to Hendrick Medical Center. Their injuries are unknown but didn't appear to be life-threatening.
The truck fire also started a small grass fire.
Traffic in the west lane of the interstate was diverted for over an hour while the wrecks were cleaned up.
- Abilene's public radio station could face cuts under new budget
- Police looking into social media accounts of suspects in Abilene realtor's murder
- Hardin-Simmons to host regional in Division III basketball tournament
- 2 escape from south Abilene house fire
- Mysterious fireball seen across Big Country likely a meteorite
- Families displaced in Brownwood apartment fire find new homes
- Texas A&M Forest Service conducts prescribed burns at Camp Bowie
- 18 people displaced after Brownwood apartment fire
- Brown County judge orders new trial for man convicted of child sex crimes
- Blood drive in Early held to honor deceased student