ABILENE, Texas - A blowout on an 18-wheeler caused a crash that sent several people to the hospital Monday night.
The accident happened just after 7:30 p.m. near the Grape Street exit.
The truck that had the blowout was carrying non-food supplies for Chicken Express when the tire blew and then the trailer caught fire. A mini van traveling behind the truck tried to avoid the accident but was then rear-ended by a pickup truck.
A total of five people were taken by ambulance to Hendrick Medical Center. Their injuries are unknown but didn't appear to be life-threatening.
The truck fire also started a small grass fire.
Traffic in the west lane of the interstate was diverted for over an hour while the wrecks were cleaned up.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated
- Walter murder trial: 'Formality' in sentencing to call Abilene couple back to court Thursday