ABILENE, Texas - Technology is everywhere we go, but on Sunday, Abilene Christian University teamed with local churches in the Big Country to bring awareness to the pitfalls and positives of families using technology.
A panel answered questions sent to them from the audience. Parents were encouraged to talk with their kids about how to limit their distractions at the conference.
One parent said many people get sidetracked by the ease of using technology.
"It's so easy to be distracted by something that's distant and not be present in the moment with your family or your friends, so that's just an easy temptation that we all have fallen into I think," Rusty Towell said.
He's taking part in a seven-day challenge designed to bring him and his family closer by putting limitations on his family's use of electronics and taking the additional free time to reconnect with God and family.
According to Ricky Pruitt, Southern Hills Church of Christ High School minister, human connection is embedded in us.
"I think when God put that element in us, he put an element that needs community, there's so much that happens in the physical world that cannot happen in technology," Pruitt said.
If you'd like to participate in the 7-day Challenge, click on the link to the Family U website.
- Big Country high school marching bands compete at Abilene stadium
- Taylor Co. residents to vote on $55M bond to renovate expo center
- Bond set at $750,000: Son of ex-Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Sheriff, family ask for public's help with Lake Brownwood murder case
- KTXS Forecast: Warm and likely dry
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer