ABILENE, Texas - Abilene could have a new conference center-style hotel downtown.
A company, Adoba, is working to bring the hotel – described as being "eco-friendly" – to Abilene by 2014.
Adoba's proposal would have nearly 300 rooms and about 30,000 square feet, with 14,000 being meeting space and 9,000 as a ballroom.
According to the company's website, Adoba is working with Houston landowner Paul Grohman, who plans to franchise the hotel. Grohman owns several sites in Abilene, but the site for the hotel is not yet determined.
Adrienne Pumphrey, Adoba's global head of the brand, said it will be one of less than five of its kind in the world.
"It will have state of the art technology, especially the conference centers," Pumphrey said.
Adoba has been working with the Abilene Convention and Vistors Bureau to align its plans with the city's needs.
"People want to have a convention under one roof," said Nanci Liles, executive director of Abilene's Convention and Vistors Bureau. "That is what we hear all the time, and if it's not under one roof, they want it within walking distance to the conference center."
Adoba feels strongly about having a hotel in Abilene because of what they say the city has to offer.
"Abilene has an amazing history," Pumphrey said. "You certainly have some state of the art universities and hospitals and those are really aligned with our business plan."
A downtown hotel is high on Abilene Mayor Norm Archibald's wish list. However, he told KTXS that he is not involved in Adoba's plan to bring a conference hotel to Abilene. For now, Archibald said he is only taking requests for proposals to see which offer best lines up with his vision.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated