AISD has joined hundreds of schools across Texas in a petition to get Annual Yearly Progress Ratings overturned.
According to AISD administrators a petition against the Texas Education Agency was filed last Friday in Austin with hearings are now pending. The Abilene School Board voted in October to join the coalition.
The AYP ratings started in 2003 with The No Child Left Behind Act. AISD hopes to get them thrown out. They're not the only ones: 10 other Big Country school districts are also part of the 600 district state-wide coalition.
- Zephyr ISD sues over faulty turf, relocates home football games
- Abilene ISD expecting more money from state for higher enrollment
- Ex-Abilene day care teacher fails to show for trial, warrant issued
- Hunters, Abilene charity anticipate start of dove hunting season
- Police: 20-year-old arrested for sexual assault of Brownwood teen