ABILENE, Texas - Animals have been abandoned at Lake Kirby in south Abilene several times over the last few months.
On Wednesday, two puppies were found near the main boat dock behind the baseball fields.
Abilene Animal Services manager Aaron Vannoy said animals have been dumped or abandoned about three or four times in the last couple of months.
"We want folks to know: You don't have to dump your animal out in the country and hope that it survives, bring it to the city shelter," Vannoy said. "It at least has an opportunity to find a new home and get a new life that way. Dumping it out in the country does not help save that animal."
Dumping an animal is a class A misdemeanor and is punishable by fines and/or jail time.
- Updated Obama to Trump: America is already great
- Updated Abilene veteran warns of Facebook scam about benefits
- Updated Brownwood police searching for Jeep connected to pharmacy thefts
- Updated Panel could recommend scrapping STAAR tests
- Updated McMurry professor: Clinton's nomination shows nation's growth