ABILENE, Texas - Just before 6 p.m. Wednesday, Abilene Police bomb squad detectives responded to the Las Brisas apartment complex in 2000 block of South Clack.
Earlier in the afternoon, police spotted what they believed was a stolen vehicle with two men inside.
Police tell KTXS news the two men tried to run, and also fought officers while they were being arrested. Two officers received minor injuries.
Police said one of the men was identified as Kyle Hayward, 24.
Hayward was booked into Taylor County Jail on six charges including assault of a public servant, attempting to take a weapon from an officer and theft of a motor vehicle.
After Hayward was in custody, APD's bomb squad was called to investigate what police say was a pipe bomb found inside the car.
"We have the device in custody. We will be transporting it to a safe location. Tomorrow we will dismantle the device, examine it and have more information about the device," said Sgt. Lynn Beard of the Abilene Police Department.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated