ABILENE, Texas - Just before 6 p.m. Wednesday, Abilene Police bomb squad detectives responded to the Las Brisas apartment complex in 2000 block of South Clack.
Earlier in the afternoon, police spotted what they believed was a stolen vehicle with two men inside.
Police tell KTXS news the two men tried to run, and also fought officers while they were being arrested. Two officers received minor injuries.
Police said one of the men was identified as Kyle Hayward, 24.
Hayward was booked into Taylor County Jail on six charges including assault of a public servant, attempting to take a weapon from an officer and theft of a motor vehicle.
After Hayward was in custody, APD's bomb squad was called to investigate what police say was a pipe bomb found inside the car.
"We have the device in custody. We will be transporting it to a safe location. Tomorrow we will dismantle the device, examine it and have more information about the device," said Sgt. Lynn Beard of the Abilene Police Department.
- Updated Thief climbs in through roof at Abilene High, steals electronics
- DPS identifies driver, 32, killed in Callahan County crash
- 2 Texas death row inmates lose at US Supreme Court
- KTXS Forecast: Sunshine sticking around but cooling down closer to normal later this week
- Sweetwater ISD makes choice for new head football coach/athletic director
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Fire damages north Abilene structure
- Improvements on way for Abilene Zoo if council approves bid
- Missing elderly woman found stuck in mud by two Abilene men
- Abilene council to consider approving water rate study, audit
- Abilene attorney vying for Abilene City Council Place 3 spot