ABILENE, Texas - The following is a press release from Abilene Police Chief Stan Standridge regarding Tuesday night's Public Safety Expo at HEB:
"The Abilene community is invited to attend Public Safety Expo 2013 on Tuesday, October 1st, at H-E-B from 5:30 pm to 8 pm. As part of National Night Out activities, local public safety agencies will join with the Abilene Police Department in showcasing some of their assets and personnel during the expo. National Night Out is an annual gathering touted as America's night out against crime. Activities this year will include a dialogue about the community's involvement in combating crime. Chief of Police Stan Standridge will also lead a discussion about crime statistics. The public will have an opportunity to get an up close look at several different first-responder assets, including but not limited to: MetroCare ambulance; K-9 teams; Bearcat armored vehicle; Bomb response vehicle with Andros Robot; police vehicles; and bike patrols.
Target Corporation is once again this year's national sponsor, and the Police Department is also collaborating with H-E-B to host the event at their location, 1345 Barrow. This event is designed to promote neighborhood unity and promote police-community partnerships in our fight for a safer Abilene. Chief Standridge will remind the community that their involvement is essential if we are going to effectively impact crime in our city—combating crime in a city populated by over 118,000 citizens is not just a police matter.
Several police demonstrations, including Taser, K-9, and bomb unit (Andros F6A robot) will be highlighted at the event. Additionally, Target is coordinating a bicycle challenge for all children up to 16 years of age. Families desiring to participate in the bike challenge should ensure they bring their children's bicycles and related safety gear; a helmet is required. For those unable to bring their own bikes, Safety City will have a limited number of bikes and helmets on-hand for children in 4th grade and under. Those who participate in the challenge will have a chance of winning Target gift cards! On behalf of all our local public safety partners, Chief Standridge encourages the community to attend this event and to enjoy free ice-cream sodas and kid-friendly activities sponsored by H-E-B.
Lastly, the Police Department will honor this year's Citizen of the Year. Everyone is invited to see who and why this person was chosen as this year's crime fighter.
Please come and see how you can be part of making Abilene a safer place to live. Remember, a safer Abilene starts with you!"
- Abilene parents keeping daughter's memory alive with foundation
- Abilene police find heroin in house, arrest 4 on drug charges
- Bangs students learn from Monday's presidential debate
- KTXS Forecast: Slight warm up today then another cold front arrives Thursday
- Brownwood murder suspect's lawyer asks for bond reduction, gag order
- Brother of fallen Dyess airman killed week before 1st anniversary of plane crash
- Callahan County employees, residents react to jail decision
- Brown County cities see decline in sales tax revenues for July
- Callahan County commissioners reverse decision to 'vacate' jail
- Totals: 5+ inches of rain recorded in parts of West Texas over weekend