The Abilene Police Department is warning shoppers about car theft over the big shopping weekend.
Many areas around the Mall of Abilene are considered "high prowl" areas. APD has worked with several businesses to install signs in parking lots to alert people.
Officer George Spindler of APD said the community needs to do their part to help avoid those thefts, and that means removing valuables when you leave your car.
"Whether it's a congested parking lot or people being careless with their property even while they're shopping and leaving things out that they can easily be swiped, criminals will be criminals, so we want to encourage citizens to not get those headaches during the holiday shopping period," said Spindler. "The hustle and bustle is already there. Avoid the risks by taking property out of the car and securing cars by locking them and taking your keys."
APD bike patrol will also be out this weekend to watch out for potential thefts.
They have seen an average of 63 car burglaries per month this year.
- Updated 'Eerily similar' earthquake hit Italian region in 2009
- Updated Abilene shooting victim's mother reacts to suspect's arrest
- Updated Olympic gold medalist Simone Biles welcomed home to Texas
- Updated 2016 rainfall totals exceed normal yearly average in Abilene
- Updated Rival schools lend football gear to Oklahoma team after fire