ABILENE, Texas - Wednesday marks the beginning of a season of reflection for Big Country Catholics.
Ash Wednesday services were held to at Holy Family Catholic Church and many other churches around the Big Country.
Ashes are placed on the forehead, and with it the 40 day season of Lent begins. For many Christians, Lent is a time for reflection and sacrifice.
The season ends with Easter, which is April 20 this year.
- Updated Man on Texas death row for killing 2 loses appeal
- Updated New 'Dancing With the Stars' cast includes ex-Gov. Rick Perry, 12 others
- Updated Armored car guard shot, killed in Texas ATM robbery
- Updated Teacher fired in West Texas after Internet post hired by another district
- Police ID West Texas man who died while hiking
- Abilene, Big Country teams ranked in AP football poll
- Abilene ISD expecting more money from state for higher enrollment
- Clyde community raises money for family after car accident
- Homeowner: '20 or 30 years of my life gone' in Abilene house fire
- Bulldogs find way to win in mistake-filled season opener against Vernon