Bail set at $250,000 for Abilene's Beechwood Lane shooting suspect

Beechwood shooter police standoff ends with arrest

ABILENE, Texas - Bail has been set for an Abilene man who allegedly shot his girlfriend in the shoulder and eventually found hiding in a south Abilene home Saturday. 

Harman Benitez, 29, is charged with first degree felony aggravated assault/family violence with a weapon, third degree felony unlawful possession of a firearm by a felon and three traffic-related violations. Altogether, his bail is set at $250,800. 

At approximately 7:33 p.m. Saturday, Abilene police confirmed via Twitter they had Benitez in custody in connection to the Beechwood Lane shooting.

That was after he was cornered in a standoff at a home in the 2000 block of Chestnut Street at about 2 p.m. City bomb and swat teams were called to the scene. 

Benitez allegedly shot his girlfriend in the shoulder around 9:50 a.m. on Beechwood Lane before fleeing and being considered "armed and dangerous" by police.

Previous story:

Abilene police are looking for Harman Benitez, 29, in connection to a Saturday morning shooting on the 700 block of Beechwood Lane. If you see him, you are asked to call 911 immediately.

According to police, dispatch received a 911 call around 9:50 a.m. about Benitez's 28-year-old girlfriend who had been shot in the shoulder. She was transported to Hendrick Medical Center in stable condition but has since been released.  

Police said Benitez was responsible for the shooting at their Beechwood home; however, he allegedly fled the scene in a non-local tow truck and it is not clear what transpired prior to the shooting. The tow truck was later located near Grape Street and Birchwood Street and was allegedly being driven by a man named Pablo Torres. Torres was arrested for third degree felony hindering arrest, third degree felony possession of methamphetamine and class B possession of marijuana. He has since been released on bail.

Benitez allegedly got into a black suburban after he left the tow truck. The suburban was eventually located at an Allsup's Convenience Store on Pine Street. According to Sgt. Lynn Beard, Benitez could have more than one weapon on him.

"According to several people who are familiar with Mr. Benitez, he has made several comments after the shooting that he was going to shoot it out with the police, that he wouldn't be taken alive, today was going to be his day to die...things of that nature," Beard said. "We are gravely concerned about the situation and locating him and taking him into custody safely."

Recent Headlines

Local Mugshots

Local News -