If you told someone you were at a bar at 11:30 a.m. on a Sunday, you'd likely get some looks...and probably some assumptions made about you. But not so fast! A local bar is about to become a place of worship.
Ken Jones, along with Southern Hills Church of Christ Minister Vann Conwell, are about to start holding church at Memories Bar at 541 China Street.
Smith says the idea came to him while talking and praying with people over a drink. "When they find out that you can sit and have a beer and be a Christian and pray with them, they open up to you," said Smith.
Conwell hopes the unconventional location may actually be more inviting. "Some people have had bad experiences with churches and rather than expecting people to come to us, we felt the example of Jesus says "let's go to these people," and that's what we wanted to do," said Conwell.
"We're not telling anyone to go out and overindulge in alcohol, and we're not telling them to quit. What we want to tell them is to get full of Jesus!" said Smith.
The first Bar Church service will be Sunday, March 24th at 11:30 a.m. For more information, click here.
- Updated Search continues in Sweetwater after man ditches motorcycle, flees
- New schools open in Texas town in 2013 fertilizer blast
- Abilene shooting victim's mother reacts to suspect's arrest
- Blacks in Texas face greatest pregnancy-related death risk
- Abilene man arrested for aggravated kidnapping of girlfriend