ABILENE, Texas - The Better Business Bureau is warning Abilene businesses to be on the lookout for fake money.
The BBB says that counterfeit $100, $50, and $20 bills are floating around Abilene.
Abilene police say a steady increase in the number of fake bills over the last several weeks.
Here are some tips from the BBB for spotting funny money.:
NOTIFY AND TRAIN YOUR STAFF:
Abilene police & U.S. Treasury offers these tips on security features in these bills.
Color Shifting Ink – Tilting the bill to different angles will cause the numbers in the lower right to shift from Copper to Green.
Security thread. Verify the presence of a thin strip running from top to bottom to the left of the portrait on newly designed bills. It is visible only when you hold the bill up to a light source. This is a magnetic strip embedded in the bill.
Water Mark – Picture of the watermark should match picture on bill.
If you suspect the bill is counterfeit you should do the following:
KEEP the bill from the passer & don't handle any more than necessary
DELAY the passer by some excuse if possible.
TELEPHONE the police or the U.S. Secret Service.
OBSERVE the passers description and that of any companion or vehicle used.
DOWNLOAD any available video/photo to a disc for police pickup.
WRITE your initials and the date on the bill, and surrender the bill only to the police or the U.S. Secret Service.
YOU are the first line of defense against counterfeiters!
If you spot of one of these counterfeit bills please contact the Abilene Police department at 673-8331.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated