ABILENE, Texas - This year has been an especially busy year for exterminators because bedbugs have been on the rise in the Big Country.
If you've visited any hotel, home or building that has bedbug infestations, your home and belongings can easily become infested. These bugs are known hitchhikers.
Luke Grubb recently stayed at Abilene Hotel, where he said he found bedbugs in the bed.
"I noticed something crawling next to my face, kinda disturbed me so I woke up, got out of bed, pulled the sheets back and the whole entire bed was riddled with bedbugs," Grubb said.
Grubb said his stay was cut short, but this story isn't uncommon.
Homer Galindo, owner of Sure Shot Pest Management, said the Big Country is having an influx in the pesky bugs.
"This year has just been, I don't know why, but all the sudden it's just exploding. It really is," Galindo said. "Bedbugs are moving and they're here."
Because the bugs travel well, Galindo recommended vacuuming furniture and belongings often because the problem might not even start in your home.
"People go into an area where there's an infestation and they can latch on. They just crawl onto your backpack, your purse, unfortunately your clothes and you just take them home," Galindo said. "That's usually how they get started."
If you do find yourself with a bedbug infestation, Galindo said call a professional. Don't try to handle the problem yourself.
- Updated KTXS Forecast: Afternoon hit-or-miss t-shower chances continue
- Updated Police: 20-year-old arrested for sexual assault of Brownwood teen
- Updated Zephyr ISD sues over faulty turf, relocates home football games
- Updated Abilene, Big Country teams ranked in AP football poll
- Updated Ex-Abilene day care teacher fails to show for trial, warrant issued
- Abilene, Big Country teams ranked in AP football poll
- Abilene ISD expecting more money from state for higher enrollment
- Clyde community raises money for family after car accident
- Homeowner: '20 or 30 years of my life gone' in Abilene house fire
- Bulldogs find way to win in mistake-filled season opener against Vernon