ABILENE, Texas - This year has been an especially busy year for exterminators because bedbugs have been on the rise in the Big Country.
If you've visited any hotel, home or building that has bedbug infestations, your home and belongings can easily become infested. These bugs are known hitchhikers.
Luke Grubb recently stayed at Abilene Hotel, where he said he found bedbugs in the bed.
"I noticed something crawling next to my face, kinda disturbed me so I woke up, got out of bed, pulled the sheets back and the whole entire bed was riddled with bedbugs," Grubb said.
Grubb said his stay was cut short, but this story isn't uncommon.
Homer Galindo, owner of Sure Shot Pest Management, said the Big Country is having an influx in the pesky bugs.
"This year has just been, I don't know why, but all the sudden it's just exploding. It really is," Galindo said. "Bedbugs are moving and they're here."
Because the bugs travel well, Galindo recommended vacuuming furniture and belongings often because the problem might not even start in your home.
"People go into an area where there's an infestation and they can latch on. They just crawl onto your backpack, your purse, unfortunately your clothes and you just take them home," Galindo said. "That's usually how they get started."
If you do find yourself with a bedbug infestation, Galindo said call a professional. Don't try to handle the problem yourself.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated