ABILENE, Texas - Cyclists came from all over Texas to ride in the 2013 Bent Wheel Bash on Sunday.
The event supports the Abilene Police Department bike unit in the Bent Wheel Bash at Dodson Training Center facilities.
The race took place over two days with cyclists competing for rankings, door prizes and for money.
One race that had its share of obstacles which proved it's not how you start, but how you finish that counts.
John Madden started riding bikes three years after he was influenced by his sons. He traveled all the way from Houston for this competition series. Bent Wheel Bash is more than just a race for him. His passion has created community for him.
"They come from all over the state," Madden said. "We trade emails, catch up on Facebook, tease each other when we don't do we'll, and encourage each other when were having trouble."
However, some issues can be greater than others.
"There's a broken bone here and there, in this sport," said Madden. "I'm recovering from a broken rib myself right now."
John said he trains six hours a week to prepare for the 40 and over, category one race.
"I haven't seen the course yet this year but there are some technical sections out here," said Madden. "There are a lot of rocks, tight, twisty loose turns. There's a lot of variety out here.
Unfortunately, John was caught by one of the turns. As the race began, the chain on his bike snapped and broke. It looked like the end his race, but it was only a small speed bump.
Eleven minutes after his group was long gone, John was determined to continue the race. He proved that not even a broken rib or bike link could stop him from meeting his goal. Jim MacDonald the owner of Biketown in Abilene said this is their way of giving back to the Abilene Police Department.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated