ABILENE, Texas - A 64-year-old bicyclist has died after being struck by a vehicle at the intersection of North 14th and Mockingbird just before 5 p.m. Saturday.
Abilene police said Jesus Tijerina was pronounced dead Sunday night at Hendrick Medical Center, a news release said Monday.
Police say Tijerina was hit by a silver 2006 Ford Taurus driven by a 35-year-old man when Tijerina – riding his bicycle west on North 14th – attempted to cross Mockingbird.
Tijerina, according to the news release, "failed to yield right of way to the Ford Taurus."
"The driver of the Taurus attempted to avoid the pedalcyclist by braking heavily and swerving to the left," the news release said. "The driver of the Taurus was unable to avoid the collision, and the right front of the car struck the bicycle and the rider."
Alcohol and speed of Murphy's vehicle aren't believed, at this point, to have been a contributing factor, the release said.
The collision remains under investigation.
- H-E-B donates $2,500 to The Food Bank of West Central Texas
- CityLink bus fare increases passed by Abilene City Council
- Abilene City Council responds to audit requests over water bills
- Truck flips after being T-boned in downtown Abilene
- Guardian claims disabled Abilene woman had $200,000 stolen from account