ABILENE, Texas - The Hendrick Health System is encouraging Big Country residents to bring their unused or expired medications to Abilene's medication cleanout event.
The event will take place from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 13 at the Texas Tech School of Pharmacy located at 1718 Pine St.
According to Greg Young, manager of pharmaceutical services at the Hendrick Professional Pharmacy, removing all unused medications from the home is very important, whether the medication is expired or not.
"You could have accidental poisonings, you have medication that's expired and no longer doing what it's supposed to do," Young said. "You could have children get into that. It's a hazard to the environment."
Proper disposal of both prescription medicine and over-the-counter medicine is also key, as they have personal, health information on the label and could be a danger to someone else.
If possible, medication should be brought to the drop-off site in its original packaging.
- Man in custody after four-hour standoff in north Abilene
- Abilene woman reunited with sister after travel ban struck down
- Sweetwater ISD makes choice for new head football coach/athletic director
- Brownwood man accused of conning people has criminal record
- Texas officer found dead at law enforcement shooting range