TAYLOR COUNTY, Texas - Federal authorities are investigating a rash of burglaries involving post offices and mailboxes in the Big Country.
On Monday, three break-ins were reported to the Taylor County Sheriff's Office. Those reports involved post office boxes in Trent and Lawn in addition to a residential mailbox in Merkel. Money orders were stolen from a vault in Lawn.
Reports also came out of Sweetwater, where the post office was broken into, and Colorado City, where the lock on a drop-off box was cut.
The investigations have been handed over to federal authorities.
Authorities encourage people in the affected areas to call their credit card companies if they have ordered any cards and have not recieve them to ensure their accounts are not compromised.
- Big Country 100 Men Who Care gives away another $10,000
- Abilene woman reunited with sister after travel ban struck down
- Man in custody after four-hour standoff in north Abilene
- John Lackey commemorative billboard to serve multiple purposes
- Recycling, parking, discussed at special Abilene City Council meeting