TAYLOR COUNTY, Texas - Federal authorities are investigating a rash of burglaries involving post offices and mailboxes in the Big Country.
On Monday, three break-ins were reported to the Taylor County Sheriff's Office. Those reports involved post office boxes in Trent and Lawn in addition to a residential mailbox in Merkel. Money orders were stolen from a vault in Lawn.
Reports also came out of Sweetwater, where the post office was broken into, and Colorado City, where the lock on a drop-off box was cut.
The investigations have been handed over to federal authorities.
Authorities encourage people in the affected areas to call their credit card companies if they have ordered any cards and have not recieve them to ensure their accounts are not compromised.
- Updated Son of former Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Victims ID'd: San Angelo man & boy, 4, apparently drowned while fishing
- Recent thefts raise eyebrows at Abilene hardware store
- Updated Environmental groups raise concerns over West Texas oil find
- Texan on 10 Most Wanted sex offender list caught in Mexico
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer