ABILENE, Texas - Wintry weather prompted one school district to cancel classes and other districts in the Big Country to release their students early Friday.
Jayton ISD initially scheduled for students to come in at 10 a.m., but district officials ultimately decided to cancel classes.
Merkel ISD, Jim Ned CISD, Baird ISD, Ranger ISD, Moran ISD, Woodson ISD, Colorado ISD, Loraine ISD and Rotan ISD dismissed students early.
All God's Children Child Development Center in Abilene is closing at 5 p.m. rather than 6 p.m.
Clyde CISD released students as scheduled at 2 p.m., but its high school football game scheduled for Friday against Bushland has been moved to 2 p.m. Saturday at Iowa Park.M
Stamford ISD dismissed students at 12:30 p.m., but noted ts football game against Panhandle has been rescheduled for 2 p.m. Saturday at Post.
Premier High School in Abilene was scheduled to close at 2:15 p.m.
Meanwhile, Abilene ISD Superintendent Heath Burns said, in a note to families and staff in the district, that AISD officials had decided for students to remain in school as usual.
"Please understand that Abilene ISD has over 17,000 children, many of whom would be left in cold and unattended homes, or out in the ugly weather, if we were to dismiss early on short notice," Burns said in the note.
Wylie ISD continued as scheduled.
Finally, Breckenridge ISD announced Friday that it will delay the start of school Monday until 10 a.m.
Please send information to firstname.lastname@example.org if you have additional early releases or closures and would like them included in this story.
- Bond set at $750,000: Son of ex-Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Sentencing phase kicks off in murder trial of Abilene teen
- Victims ID'd: San Angelo man & boy, 4, apparently drowned while fishing
- San Angelo woman dies in three-vehicle collision near Ballinger
- Recent thefts raise eyebrows at Abilene hardware store
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer