ABILENE, Texas - A 12-year-old boy suffered a broken leg Wednesday after he stepped out from in front of a stopped vehicle and into the path of a 2003 Ford F-150 pickup, police said.
The accident occurred about 8 a.m. near the tennis courts at Mann Middle School – in the 3200 block of Vogel.
The boy received "incapacitating injuries to the child's lower extremity," Abilene police said in a news release. He was taken via ambulance to Hendrick Medical Center for treatment. Police said he was "conscious and alert at the scene."
The police investigation revealed the boy wasn't in a crosswalk and that the female driver of the F-150 wasn't in violation. No citations were issued, police said, at a time when the vehicle "sustained minor damage to its right front quarter panel."
- Abilene parents keeping daughter's memory alive with foundation
- Updated Abilene police find heroin in house, arrest 4 on drug charges
- Bangs students learn from Monday's presidential debate
- Brownwood murder suspect's lawyer asks for bond reduction, gag order
- KTXS Forecast: Tracking another cold front
- Brother of fallen Dyess airman killed week before 1st anniversary of plane crash
- Callahan County employees, residents react to jail decision
- Brown County cities see decline in sales tax revenues for July
- Callahan County commissioners reverse decision to 'vacate' jail
- Totals: 5+ inches of rain recorded in parts of West Texas over weekend