VIEW, Texas - National speaker Bob Page took time on Saturday to congratulate Brandon Phillips on being the Volunteer Firefighter of the Year.
View Fire Department awards one person each year based on anonymous votes.
This year, eight-year volunteer firefighter Phillips took home the honor – and a few gifts too.
South Taylor EMS even came out to support Phillips, who said he was surprised and grateful his co-workers even thought of him when they voted this year.
"It was truly an honor. I've been out here about eight years and I wouldn't have expected in a million years," Phillips said. "It excites me that people I volunteer with thought highly of me enough to vote for...that is a voted award."
- Man shot in arm during road rage incident near Abilene
- Man convicted of indecency with a child now arrested in Taylor County
- Abilene police find heroin in house, arrest 4 on drug charges
- Financial shortfall forcing Meals on Wheels to cut breakfast delivery in Abilene
- Abilene parents keeping daughter's memory alive with foundation
- Brownwood woman gets 20 years in prison for injuring child
- Brownwood police asking for public's help in finding escaped man
- Brownwood murder suspect's lawyer asks for bond reduction, gag order
- Brownwood City Council unanimously passes new budget
- Brown County cities see decline in sales tax revenues for July
- Sweetwater teacher accused of relationship with student resigns
- Bond reduced for Ranger man accused of murder
- Bangs students learn from Monday's presidential debate
- Winters man one of 25 to receive prestigious Carnegie Hero medal
- Brother of fallen Dyess airman killed week before 1st anniversary of plane crash