ABILENE, Texas - Lt. Col. Jose Sumangil received the Bronze Star medal Monday for his effort while commanding the 9th expeditionary bomb squadron during deployment from July 2013 to January 2014.
The 9th EBS executed more than 540 combat missions supporting coalition and Afghan forces during Operation Enduring Freedom.
Sumangil said it felt great to receive the bronze star but that it was a total team effort.
"It's nice to be recognized," Sumangil said. "But like I told my squadron this morning, I want them to walk around the squadron proud as well because this represents them."
- Chili Day and Auction raises money for children's programs
- Woman, 36, is 2nd arrested in connection with Abilene mother's murder
- Workshop at ACU gets people ready for gardening season
- McMurry professor highlights 181st anniversary of the Battle of the Alamo
- State seeks death penalty for man accused of killing correctional officer
- Brown County judge orders new trial for man convicted of child sex crimes
- Blood drive in Early held to honor deceased student
- Brownwood man arrested for forging checks found while detailing truck
- Lawmaker proposes ending Brown County Attorney's pre-trial donation program
- Wildfire academy held in Brownwood amid high fire danger
- TxDOT repairs section of Highway 6 destroyed by 2016 flood
- Ira ISD superintendent announces retirement after long career
- Sweetwater ISD makes choice for new head football coach/athletic director
- Brownwood man accused of conning people has criminal record
- DPS identifies driver, 32, killed in Callahan County crash