ABILENE, Texas - The 33rd annual Buffalo Gap Chili Superbowl officially kicked off on Saturday.
There were over 64 contestants in the competition, and chili was not the only food judged -- chicken as well as ribs were also taste tested by judges.
The town of Buffalo Gap was packed with people visiting the cook off. Brad Bircham with the Taylor County Sheriffs Association thought the crowd was impressive.
"It is a good turn out today," said Bircham, "we got a lot of folks coming out here, its beautiful weather," said Bircham.
The proceeds from the chili cook off go to a great cause.
"Every dime we make here goes to the Ben Richey boys ranch,"said Bircham.
The Taylor County Sheriffs Association is heading the event, and volunteering to make chili.
The chili was cooked in the world's largest chili pot, provided by HEB-- which can hold up to 440 gallons of chili.
"I know the chili in the world's largest chili pot is really good," said Fortune.
Maureen Lakely is the official who oversees the judges, says there are many things that they look for in chili.
"Aroma, taste, appearance and tenderness are most of them, and then for chili we have an after-taste category," Lakely said.
There was also a petting zoo as well as concessions for the whole family to enjoy.
The Buffalo Gap Chili Super Bowl continues throughout Labor Day weekend -- ending on Sunday.
- Updated Big Country high school marching bands compete at Abilene stadium
- Updated Taylor Co. residents to vote on $55M bond to renovate expo center
- Bond set at $750,000: Son of ex-Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Sheriff, family ask for public's help with Lake Brownwood murder case
- Sentencing phase kicks off in murder trial of Abilene teen
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer