ABILENE, Texas - A candidate running for Texas Agriculture Commissioner came through the Big Country on Wednesday.
J. Allen Carnes is the mayor of Uvalde, about 80 miles west of San Antonio.
He's running as the only farmer in the race. He and his family own more than 3500 acres of farm land. He says he personally manages a third of that. The company grows and ships cabbage, broccoli, onions, cotton and grain .
"You know, it doesn't matter if you are in Abilene, Uvalde, or in Houston. You are tied to Texas agriculture. Whether it's the shirt on your back, or the food on your table, you are tied to Texas agriculture like anybody else, like a producer is. It's very important that this state, as it grows and doubles in population, and becomes more and more urban, that we keep the mantra to what Texas is, we keep that in the future and we build on that," Carnes told KTXS news.
Carnes is running as a Republican.
He says he's been involved in policy making involving water issues, immigration, food safety and the farm bill.
- Calais 'Jungle': Demolition of massive migrant camp to begin
- Big Country high school marching bands compete at Abilene stadium
- Taylor Co. residents to vote on $55M bond to renovate expo center
- KTXS Forecast: Cloud cover temporarily increases for Tuesday
- Bond set at $750,000: Son of ex-Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer