ABILENE, Texas - Fire officials say a child playing with a lighter caused a blaze at an Abilene garage apartment Thursday night, resulting in $10,000 to $20,000 of damage.
The garage was behind a house in the 1900 block of Grand Avenue. The fire started in the upstairs apartment about 7:30 p.m.
According to the Abilene Fire Department, flames were showing out of two windows when firefighters arrived, but the blaze was quickly extinguished.
A woman and two kids were in the apartment at the time but got out without injury. Firefighters say a rabbit died in the fire.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated