ABILENE, Texas - Fire officials say a child playing with a lighter caused a blaze at an Abilene garage apartment Thursday night, resulting in $10,000 to $20,000 of damage.
The garage was behind a house in the 1900 block of Grand Avenue. The fire started in the upstairs apartment about 7:30 p.m.
According to the Abilene Fire Department, flames were showing out of two windows when firefighters arrived, but the blaze was quickly extinguished.
A woman and two kids were in the apartment at the time but got out without injury. Firefighters say a rabbit died in the fire.
- Updated Abilene police make urgent request for help finding missing elderly woman
- Updated Deadly accident in Callahan County, road closed
- KTXS Forecast: Rain moves out, warmer weather & sunny skies expected
- Updated Rescue network brings adoptable dogs from Texas to Minnesota
- Stepson talks how shooter, victim met before San Angelo murder-suicide
- Brownwood ISD's new calendar includes 3-day weekends every month
- Early man in jail for scamming elderly couple out of $15,000
- Brownwood raid leads to arrests for illegal drugs
- Brownwood takes steps to address wild hog problem at city field
- Brownwood man sentenced to 25 years for role in prison gang drug ring