The Abilene City Council granted another waiver Thursday, on a split vote, for a construction project where the developer didn't want to have to build sidewalks as required by city ordinance.
The Wylie School District requested the waiver for the new elementary school they're building at the corner of Antilley and Buffalo Gap Road.
The Planning and Zoning Commission originally denied the waiver request from the district but the council granted it.
The vote was four members in favor and three against. Those voting against the waiver were Joe Spano, Anthony Williams, and Kellie Miller.
Spano asked fellow council members why we even had the sidewalk ordinance when the council continues to gives waivers for their construction.
Wylie cited cost and safety issues as their reason for requesting the waiver.
- Updated Police: 20-year-old arrested for sexual assault of Brownwood teen
- Updated West Texas police say 6 slightly hurt when shot during robbery
- Updated 2 injured in DWI crash in Early, man arrested
- Updated 2 arrested for Texas bank robberies
- Updated Santa Anna man, 28, arrested on drug charges in Coleman