ABILENE, Texas - The Abilene City Council is moving forward with plans to drill for oil within city limits and getting permits for the Cedar Creek Reservoir.
Tetragon Investments, LLC of Abilene submitted an application to drill on property located northwest of the intersection of Interstate 20 and Highway 83/277.
All property owners within 500 feet of the proposed drill site have been notified.
The City Council voted to approve the application for the permit because all requirements have been met, including seeing no adverse effects on the health, safety and welfare of the public.
The council is also moving forward with developing the Cedar Ridge Reservoir, which is one of the city's answers to the long-term drought effects.
The next step involves environmental studies of the area; this is to continue efforts on getting permits to build.
The reservoir would include the Brazos River and the projected cost of the project is $285 million.
- Homeowner: '20 or 30 years of my life gone' in Abilene house fire
- Updated 2 men charged in shooting death of Dwyane Wade's cousin Nykea Aldridge
- Philippines: 5-year-old girl killed in drug war, Human Rights Watch says
- HPU baseball team collects donations for LA flood victims
- Clyde community raises money for family after car accident