ABILENE, Texas - The Abilene City Council is moving forward with plans to drill for oil within city limits and getting permits for the Cedar Creek Reservoir.
Tetragon Investments, LLC of Abilene submitted an application to drill on property located northwest of the intersection of Interstate 20 and Highway 83/277.
All property owners within 500 feet of the proposed drill site have been notified.
The City Council voted to approve the application for the permit because all requirements have been met, including seeing no adverse effects on the health, safety and welfare of the public.
The council is also moving forward with developing the Cedar Ridge Reservoir, which is one of the city's answers to the long-term drought effects.
The next step involves environmental studies of the area; this is to continue efforts on getting permits to build.
The reservoir would include the Brazos River and the projected cost of the project is $285 million.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated