ABILENE, Texas - If you know a student in need of a job this summer, they're in luck.
The City of Abilene's "Summer Playground" program is currently hiring.
Six recreation centers in the city will be open this summer.
They're looking for staff to help make this a good time for area children.
"It's a great first job for young people," said human resource specialist Terry Shuffield. "We're paying you to play," she said.
The city is looking to fill about 50 or so positions.
Playground aides, supervisors and temporary park workers are all needed.
The program will start once school lets out for the summer and will end about a week or two before school resumes in the fall.
Applicants need to act quickly if they want a slot.
Positions will only remain open for a short while.
"Once the word gets out, and we start getting applications, we'll have it done in three weeks," Shuffield said.
The work hours for these positions vary, but typical hours will be from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
The city is hoping to fill all the positions by the first of May.
Applicants must be at least 16 years old.
The average wage for these positions is $8.50 an hour. Supervisors will be paid a little more.
To access an application, click here.
- Man in custody after four-hour standoff in north Abilene
- Abilene woman reunited with sister after travel ban struck down
- Sweetwater ISD makes choice for new head football coach/athletic director
- Brownwood man accused of conning people has criminal record
- Texas officer found dead at law enforcement shooting range