ABILENE, Texas - If you know a student in need of a job this summer, they're in luck.
The City of Abilene's "Summer Playground" program is currently hiring.
Six recreation centers in the city will be open this summer.
They're looking for staff to help make this a good time for area children.
"It's a great first job for young people," said human resource specialist Terry Shuffield. "We're paying you to play," she said.
The city is looking to fill about 50 or so positions.
Playground aides, supervisors and temporary park workers are all needed.
The program will start once school lets out for the summer and will end about a week or two before school resumes in the fall.
Applicants need to act quickly if they want a slot.
Positions will only remain open for a short while.
"Once the word gets out, and we start getting applications, we'll have it done in three weeks," Shuffield said.
The work hours for these positions vary, but typical hours will be from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
The city is hoping to fill all the positions by the first of May.
Applicants must be at least 16 years old.
The average wage for these positions is $8.50 an hour. Supervisors will be paid a little more.
To access an application, click here.
- Updated Suspect in gruesome New Mexico killing of girl, 10, was on probation
- Updated All gone: City of Abilene rain barrel giveaway lasts 28 minutes
- Updated Texas murder suspect arrested at Oklahoma bus station
- Updated Looking for a place that sells alcohol? There's an app for that
- Updated Clyde family raising money for son nearly paralyzed in wreck