ABILENE, Texas - The city of Abilene has launched a mosquito prevention hotline.
Residents are encouraged to call (325) 437-4999 to report standing water, which is a breeding ground for mosquitoes, the city said in a news release.
Here's the city's release in its entirety:
City of Abilene Launches Mosquito Prevention Hotline
ABILENE, Texas – In anticipation of mosquito season the City of Abilene has launched a Mosquito Prevention Hotline. Citizens are encouraged to call the hotline to report standing water, which can be a breeding ground for mosquitoes. When a citizen sees standing water they should call 325-437-4999 and report the location information. Upon receiving this information the City will follow up at the location and take the necessary steps to prevent mosquitoes from becoming a threat or nuisance.
Mosquitoes can carry many harmful and deadly diseases, including West Nile Virus. Citizens can protect themselves by calling the hotline and following the 5 D's:
- Stay indoors at Dusk and Dawn; that is when mosquitoes are most active.
- Dress in long sleeves/pants when outdoors.
- Defend yourself with an insect repellent containing DEET, Picaridin, or Oil of Lemon Eucalyptus.
- Drain all standing water in your yard and neighborhood. This includes flower pots, water dishes, bird baths and wading pools.
Together, we can control mosquitoes and enjoy the great outdoors.
To report standing water call 325-437-4999.
For more information visit abilenetx.com/CommEnhance or call 325-698-0085.
- Updated Abilene shooting victim's mother reacts to suspect's arrest
- Updated DPS identifies man killed in Hwy 84 crash near Santa Anna, Coleman
- Updated Abilene man arrested for aggravated kidnapping of girlfriend
- Updated Abilene residents weigh in on 25 years of the World Wide Web
- Updated No tax increases in proposed Brownwood budget for 2016-2017