ABILENE, Texas - The new school year is going to bring a new look to some Abilene Independent School District campuses.
Joe Humphrey, AISD's construction coordinator for AISD, said the improvements will take time, but it is all in an effort to make life easier and safer for the Abilene students.
The biggest change people will see is the traffic flow when dropping and picking their children up at school.
"For the first time, we are cutting a big circular drive right in front of the (Abilene High School), so we will have a way to load and unload our buses and not have to unload them out on North 6th Street," Humphrey said.
Abilene High is also getting new restrooms that are all up to code, along with new elevators.
Humphrey said Abilene High's auditorium will also be upgraded.
"The auditorium is getting new seats, new paint, new lights, new sound system, the lobbies are getting redone, new doors, and even the big glass door at the south end of the lobby will be replaced," Humphrey said.
Construction on the auditorium should be done by the end of November.
Upgrades are also being done at the Crockett Early Childhood Center. The improvements will add more classrooms. It will decrease class size.
Humphrey said this project won't be completed by 2015.
The money for these projects will come from the $87 million bond passed by voters last November.
In addition, AISD officials say tells work will also start at Cooper High School next year. There will also be new safety and security plans for 10 elementary schools that will be discussed at future board meetings.
- 6 cows killed, deputy hurt in suspected drunk driving crash
- Residents of community near Snyder report not having water since Wednesday
- Texas wife sentenced to prison for killing officer husband
- Kidnapped Border Patrol agent says he feared for family
- 3-year-old boy dies after he's found in hot car in Texas
- State cornhole championship held in Abilene
- 5 car wreck on Winters Freeway, 1 injured
- 24-hour amateur radio field day taking place this weekend
- 2 taken to Abilene hospital after vehicle strikes go-kart
- CityLink addresses driver shortage with pay bump
- Friends of the Library raises over $60,000 at annual Abilene book sale
- Amputee golf tournament taking place at Lake Brownwood
- Owner of Brownwood restaurant and motel disputes $97,000 fine for health violations
- Budget shortfall affecting maintenance at Texas state parks
- Brownwood ISD, emergency agencies conduct response drills
- Early ISD continuing research on proposal to arm teachers, staff
- 4th of July celebrations around the Big Country
- Area's best showcase their stuff in the State Lineman Challenge
- Train derailed by strong winds in Mitchell County
- More than 100 barrels of oil stolen from Nolan County drilling company
- Brownwood battles heat, snags 7-on-7 state spot in duel with Merkel
- Wanted Wednesday: Abilene police looking for 2 capital murder suspects
- Police arrest 2 Abilene men for stealing car, breaking into 'numerous' vehicles in Merkel