ABILENE, Texas - Two people who saved a woman's life during a May 3 fire at the Hartford Place apartment complex on South Clack Street were honored Wednesday by the Abilene Fire Department.
A special ceremony touted the efforts of two Abilene construction workers – Carroll "Rocky" Watson and Stacey Karnes – who were working on a new Volkswagen dealership.
The two men saw the flames pouring out of the building, dropped what they were doing, ran to the apartment and knocked on doors to tell residents to get out.
"Without hesitation and without concern for their personal safety, Mr. Watson and Mr. Karnes – with the aid of at least one other unidentified individual –performed what has been named the 'human latter technique' to rescue the trapped woman," Abilene Fire Chief Ken Dozier said, as he gave the award out to the two men Wednesday night.
Watson and Karnes haven't seen the woman they saved again. Both men insisted anybody would have done the same thing if they were in the same situation.
- Updated Teenage suspect arrested in Hamlin murder; 2nd suspect wanted
- Updated Abilene police ask for help identifying man who robbed 2 convenience stores
- Updated House fires fought in north, south Abilene
- Big Country 15-year-old sells steer for $345,000
- Updated Abilene man accused of molesting 4-year-old boy
- Abilene police ask for help identifying man who robbed 2 convenience stores
- 2nd Vernon College rodeo team member dies 8 days after Haskell County crash; 3rd death total
- Teenage suspect arrested in Hamlin murder; 2nd suspect wanted
- Abilene man arrested on child pornography charges
- House fires fought in north, south Abilene
- Brownwood college rodeo raising funds for families of deceased Vernon College students
- Brownwood teen gets 50 years in prison for murdering parents
- Sears Hometown in Early to remain open despite company's woes
- Scoreboard at Gordon Wood Stadium in Brownwood to be replaced
- Brownwood ISD considering random drug testing for extracurricular activities