ABILENE, Texas - Two people who saved a woman's life during a May 3 fire at the Hartford Place apartment complex on South Clack Street were honored Wednesday by the Abilene Fire Department.
A special ceremony touted the efforts of two Abilene construction workers – Carroll "Rocky" Watson and Stacey Karnes – who were working on a new Volkswagen dealership.
The two men saw the flames pouring out of the building, dropped what they were doing, ran to the apartment and knocked on doors to tell residents to get out.
"Without hesitation and without concern for their personal safety, Mr. Watson and Mr. Karnes – with the aid of at least one other unidentified individual –performed what has been named the 'human latter technique' to rescue the trapped woman," Abilene Fire Chief Ken Dozier said, as he gave the award out to the two men Wednesday night.
Watson and Karnes haven't seen the woman they saved again. Both men insisted anybody would have done the same thing if they were in the same situation.
- Hillary Clinton's challenge: Igniting excitement
- Updated Building partially collapses in Hamlin
- Updated 3 Big Country hospitals receive high marks from federal government
- Updated Abilenians sought for curbside recycling program, deadline Monday
- Updated Texas sales tax holiday set for first weekend of August