CLINTON, Mississippi - Hardin-Simmons' softball team split an American Southwest Conference doubleheader on Friday evening at Mississippi College falling 3-1 in the first game before rallying for a 7-6 win in the nightcap.
Brooke Smitherman hit her eighth home run and Lacie Patterson limited HSU to one run in a complete-game win in the circle. She struck out four and scattered six hits to improve to 8-2 on the year.
Emily Hardaway was solid for the Cowgirls allowing just three hits, but the Choctaws made them count for three runs.
HSU scored its only run of the game on a solo home run by Kara LeLeux in the fourth inning that tied the game at 1-1 at the time.
MC scored a run in the first, fourth and sixth innings. Megan Everett had an RBI single in the first, Kimmie Conley scored on a groundout in the fourth and Smitherman homered in the sixth.
HSU took a 4-0 lead in the top of the first inning. LeLeux had an RBI single, Lauren Williams was hit by a pitch and Carol Swindell had a two-run single.
The Choctaws took the lead in the second. Smitherman had an RBI sacrifice fly in the first. Everett had a two-run single in the second, a run scored on a fielder's choice and Smitherman had an RBI groundout.
Lauren Milligan's RBI single in the fourth made it 6-4 for the Choctaws. Williams had an RBI single in the fifth for HSU and Mac Clay had a sacrifice fly in the sixth to tie the game.
HSU took the lead in the seventh when Carol Swindell reached on a two-out error to bring home Braleigh Middleton.
Keeley Lowrance went the distance for the Cowgirls in the circle to move to 9-4. She allowed seven hits and four earned runs.
Ashley Vann allowed five runs in five innings and Rudi Aycock took the loss allowing two runs in two innings to fall to 2-1.
Lauren Williams and LeLeux had two hits each for the Cowgirls. Everett and Bethany Fletcher had two hits each for the Choctaws.
HSU is now 18-13 overall and 15-11 in conference play. Mississippi College is 22-8 overall and 18-7 in league play. The teams will play a single game at noon on Saturday to decide the series.
Information for this story provided by Hardin-Simmons Athletics.
- Updated Police identify victim in west Abilene homicide
- LIVE FBI reviewing new emails in Clinton classified information probe
- Parents charged after toddler dies in Texas house fire
- Wife of Texas teacher charged in 2 deaths accused of tampering
- Police: Texas college student rams squad car while taking topless selfie
- Brown County commissioners approve sale of old sheriff's office and jail
- Brownwood seeking community input on proposed dog park
- Police: Driver flees after crashing into Early apartment, found at liquor store
- Sheriff, family ask for public's help with Lake Brownwood murder case
- Inaugural Barktoberfest taking place Saturday seeks to help Brownwood youth
- Teen killed in Coleman County motorcycle-truck crash
- Teacher Tribute: First-year Wylie teacher receives season's first honor
- Brookesmith school board selects interim superintendent
- Victim testifies against former chief in Anson sexual assault trial
- Clyde Intermediate School teachers save student from choking