ABILENE, Texas - Police are warning those purchasing items online – starting with today's Cyber Monday sales push – to be extra careful.
"It's Cyber Monday, so take simple precautions by using reputable websites, use strong passwords and use a credit card versus a debit card," Abilene Police Department spokesman George Spindler said.
Debit cards, Spindler said, can "give thieves direct access to your personal checking account."
According to Spindler:
*- Know who you are dealing with
*- Know what you're buying
*- Know what it will cost
*- Check out the terms of the deal (like refund policies and delivery dates)
*- Pay by credit card
*- Keep records, and
*- Protect your information.
Refer to this website for further advice and assistance: www.ftc.gov
- Mysterious fireball seen across Big Country likely a meteorite
- Police looking into social media accounts of suspects in Abilene realtor's murder
- San Angelo council to consider naming new member after embattled councilman resigns
- Reward offered for killer of 8-year-old Texas girl
- Updated Hardin-Simmons to host regional in Division III basketball tournament
- 18 people displaced after Brownwood apartment fire
- Brown County judge orders new trial for man convicted of child sex crimes
- Blood drive in Early held to honor deceased student
- Brownwood man arrested for forging checks found while detailing truck
- Lawmaker proposes ending Brown County Attorney's pre-trial donation program