ABILENE, Texas - An improperly discarded cigarette is being blamed for a structure fire about 1 a.m. Wednesday in the 3200 block of Melinda Lane.
Firefighters, upon arrival, found smoke and fire showing from the house's roof. Most of the damage, estimated at $25,000, was to the home's attic, an Abilene Fire Department news release said.
"There was very little damage to the inside living areas," the release said.
No injuries were reported – and the cause of the fire has been ruled accidental.
- Abilene woman reunited with sister after travel ban struck down
- Abilene police receive $10,000 donation for new K-9
- Thief climbs in through roof at Abilene High, steals electronics
- Brownwood man accused of conning people has criminal record
- Recycling, parking, discussed at special Abilene City Council meeting