ABILENE, Texas - For those who don't want to strap on an apron and spend hours of Thanksgiving in the kitchen, there are several alternatives in Abilene.
"We'll have traditionally ham and turkey sides will be stuffing, giblet gravy, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, green beans and then we'll have some desserts," said Al Callaway, owner of Al's Mesquite Grill.
In addition to the food they offer those who want to dine-in, Al's will be selling precooked hams and turkeys from 10 am-2 pm for people who want to spend the holiday at home, but not in the kitchen. Some other options include Golden Corral's Thanksgiving buffet from 10 a.m.- 8 p.m. Cracker Barrel's Thanksgiving menu and regular menu, 11 a.m.- 6 p.m., Denny's and IHOP will be open all night, Buffalo Wild Wings will be open from 3 p.m.- 12 a.m., Pizza Hut on S. 14th is open 4 p.m. - 9 p.m. and Grandy's on Buffalo Gap is open 7 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Restaurant owners said because of all the closures in town they picked up some extra customers during last year's Thanksgiving holiday.
"It was standing room only. It was fun. One of the busiest times of the year, but we enjoy it," said Anthony Peoples, manager of Denny's in Abilene.
"We were pretty busy. I was surprised. I expect an even bigger rush this year," Callaway agreed.
- Updated Construction to begin on Highway 351 in north Abilene
- Updated Endwell, New York, wins Little League World Series
- Updated College Station police say 2 killed in apartment gunfire
- Updated KTXS Forecast: Afternoon pop-up showers possible each day this week
- Updated Dallas police squelch critics, questions about sniper attack