ABILENE, Texas - The old becomes new, and we're getting a preview of what's yet to come by way of some new businesses in Abilene.
Texas State Technical College Culinary School graduate Leray Scifres is transforming a Pine Street space on the ground floor of the Windsor Hotel building into what will be Abilene Pizza Co. and The Flour Shop.
Offering baked goods in the morning and Italian food throughout the day, Scifres hopes his restaurant will be part of Abilene's downtown revitalization.
"I always enjoyed downtown, enjoyed coming and all the activities that are going on in downtown, I would like to be involved in those and help bring more folks into downtown Abilene," Scifres said.
Scifres plans on serving up a lunch time pizza buffet and staying open well into the night so folks can venture downtown for a budget friendly dinner.
There's a notable renovation on South 14th. What used to be a rundown China Garden restaurant is now owned by McMurry University. School officials tell us this will now be the University's sports ticket office.
We now have a better idea of what will be in the new shopping center under construction off Catclaw. The company managing the property says a Mattress Firm and Men's Warehouse will set up shop.
- Updated Search continues in Sweetwater after man ditches motorcycle, flees
- New schools open in Texas town in 2013 fertilizer blast
- Abilene shooting victim's mother reacts to suspect's arrest
- Blacks in Texas face greatest pregnancy-related death risk
- Abilene man arrested for aggravated kidnapping of girlfriend