ABILENE, Texas - Bariatric surgeon Dr. Sheetal M. Patel, M.D., F.A.C.S. visited KTXS on Friday morning and spoke about popular procedures for reducing hunger to lose weight.
"Bariatric surgery is essential weight loss procedures, " Patel said. "Whether it's using adjustable gastric banding, gastric bypass, or sleeve gastrectomy."
The sleeve gastrectomy is a relatively new procedure.
"In a sleeve gastrectomy, what happens is we actually remove 80% of the stomach," Patel said. "We're changing the size of the stomach -- the portion that expands and allows people to eat 50 pies at the pie eating contest."
That procedure also removes the cells that make people feel hungry.
"Portion control is almost self designed," Patel said.
There are some risks, but Patel said most of them are involved in the actual medical procedure itself.
It should also be noted that no weight loss procedure is full proof, and a eating healthy habit combined with an active lifestyle is needed to receive the full effects of these procedures.
Patel is the Medical Director of Bariatric Surgery at The Medical Center of Plano.
- Updated Man charged in slaying of woman at Texas gambling room
- Updated KTXS Forecast: Mostly sunny and low 90s for Thursday
- Updated Police: Abilene kidnapping suspect threatened to kill victim, family
- Updated Terror attacks overseas affecting Abilene college programs
- Updated EpiPen price hikes causing trouble Abilene families